Wednesday, March 31, 2010


We have fallen behind on posting recently be we have finally gotten around to giving everyone an update.

We were admitted into the hospital on Wednesday 03/17 because Caeden had a fever. Caeden had gotten the Synegis shot for RSV on Monday when the home care nurse came to change the dressing around the Broviac. Caeden got the fever on Tuesday and we were told that he might get a low grade fever due to the shot. He hadn't gotten any better by Wednesday and we actually had a follow up appointment with Dr. McLoughlin on that day. Our Doctor told us that the Synegis shot shouldn't cause a fever and she immediately admitted us. They did multiple blood tests and blood cultures but nothing showed an infection. Therefore, the doctors never found the cause of the fever and we were discharged on Tuesday 03/23.

Caeden was doing great at home until he contracted another fever on Monday 03/29 at 12:30 am. We called the GI doctor on call and he told us to go straight to the emergency room and that he would notify them that we were on our way. Denae and I packed our bags to prepare for another lengthy stay at the hospital and then left for the hospital. We arrived at the ER around 3:00 am. Thankfully, the ER was not busy at all and we got right in and they started giving Caeden antibiotics. They took a blood culture and did a urine test. We were only in the ER for about two hours and then they moved us up to the sixth floor in the Pediatric Specialty Care Unit. Once again they took multiple blood tests and nothing showed up. The blood cultures aren't growing any bacteria either. Our doctor is frustrated because she does not know what is wrong and why Caeden keeps getting fevers.

Therefore, Dr. McLoughlin scheduled to do a liver biopsy today. She is hoping that by doing this operation it will provide her with some answers. We had to go down to ultrasound around 11 this morning so that they could mark the exact spot where Dr. Mcloughlin needed to insert the needle. This step is crucial so that there won't be any main blood vessels that are in the way that could be punctured which would cause internal bleeding. We took Caeden down to the OR at about 12:30 and they took him in for the liver biopsy. We were able to go back to the recovery room around 1:30. Caeden could not eat for another 4 hours after the biopsy due to the risk of bleeding which made it a hard 4 hours. However, Caeden did really well and was a trooper. When 5:30 came around Caeden sucked down a bottle and was much happier.

We should hear some results tomorrow from the biopsy and find out what the next step is. We will post again once we have more news.

No comments:

Post a Comment